I saw a recipe for Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches on Self.com under diet friendly treats. I didn’t have eggs, cookies or ice cream in my kitchen so I made up my own cookie recipe for a small batch of these yummy treats and I replaced the ice cream with Greek yogurt and protein powder. These cookies are packed with proteins, healthy fats, fiber and antioxidants from the dark chocolate! I’m not sure if I have the exact measurements for the ingredients but here is my estimate:
- 1 cup of fat free greek yogurt
- 1/2 scoop of all natural whey protein powder Mix these together and place in the freezer while you make the cookies.
- 1/4 cup (or one BIG spoon full) of softened crunch, no sugar added peanut butter
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flower
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 1 large table spoon of chia seeds
- 2 table spoons of flax seed (to replace the egg)
- dash of salt
- 1/4 cup of agave or maple syrup
- 1 packet of stevia extract
- Heat up the peanut butter in the microwave for about 20 seconds, until its soft and easy to mix.
- Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl. Make in to 8-10 small balls and place on parchment paper, flatten them out so they are 1/2 – 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Bake at 375 for 15 – 20 minutes, you want them to be firm!
- Once the cookies have cooled and the yogurt is firm but not frozen put a scoop on half the cookies, and top with a second cookie.
- Roll the edge of each cookie in finely chopped 85% dark chocolate.
- Freeze the ice cream sandwiches for an hour or two and enjoy!
Here is the original recipe from Self.com. It’s much easier if you have all the right stuff in your kitchen! Same directions starting with step number 4!
- 1/2 cup light vanilla ice cream (or frozen yogurt), softened at room temperature
- 24 vanilla wafer cookies (1 1/2 inches in diameter)
- 1 oz dark (or bittersweet) chocolate (60 to 70 percent cocoa solids), finely chopped